Monday, August 2, 2010

Ugh, making changes does not suit everyone

In my last post, I was upset with a situation at a restaurant, but felt I had at least been real. Unfortunately my so called best friend Janie is now furious with me.

Ouch. I am very upset, as is she but I'm not sure what to actually do with it.

She is furious at me becasue I 'stormed out of the restaurant.' I thought we just walked out, quietly. The Manager was nowhere to be seen and obviously had no qualms about letting a customer be unhappy.

I understand it was embarrassing. Yes, it was embarrassing on many levels. I did feel bad about the situation with Janie. I also felt pretty icky being in a restaurant where the wait staff were rude and the Manager didn't give a shit. I guess he wasn't trying to impress Janies friends with his attitude. Note that it's only my attitude that is the issue here. Jerry is perfect obviously.

What blows my mind on all of this is that Janie is furious with me but didn't even ring me to get our side or get any facts. She listened to Jerry and believed him over me. A person she barely knows over her so called best friend. That's got some major ick factor to it. I know it was a yukky scene but at no time has Janie considered that Jerry was also involved in this and that he might not have been doing things exactly perfectly himself.

And that really hurts.

The fact that she immediately took his point of view, his view of the 'facts' and didn't even bother to get mine. What's worse, is that he appears to have altered the facts a bit and she believes him over me. That's pretty shitty at the end of the day.

He told her he offered us teh plastic glass with the shot on the side. He didn't. I would have acceptd that. I would also have accepted it if his tone and attitude were friendly and wanting to help. None of those things were happening. He was following a rule and that was that. He also said we stormed out. We didn't. I returned to our table and Aaron said, 'let's go.' to which we quietly walked out. Noting that the Manager Jerry was nowhere to be seen and obviously had no intention of trying to make it right.

So... he's a wanker. That's okay. You get this.

What is the worst thing though is that now Janie and I are not talking to each other. So called best friends. Which leads me to my next question of: are we really? Or is it just another not real situation I have in my life?

All in all, it has left me with a very unsettled and icky feeling. And I know her too. I just don't know how to make it okay. Do I apologize to someone who I think was shitty and had bad attitude, for the sake of my 'friendship.' Knowing that he and I will never like each other anyway. Or do I step back and assess everything much much deeper?

I think I already know the answer to this and it's not great either way. But I have to be real. Didn't siding with your new beau over a friend go out with ninth grade? What was the value of the friendship to start with? And what was real?

Ouch.

No comments:

Post a Comment